Park Memorial United Methodist Church

Our History
Home | Directions | Contact Us | Children and Youth | Meet the Staff | Missions | Music | Our History | Park's Pickers | Prayer Request | Religious Links | -
"For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations."
Psalm 100:5

pmumc.jpg

The Holy Bible is the record of God's love expressed in God's saving acts in history. God's acts in history are new all the time. At Park Memorial our record began in God's gift through the life of Captain Robert E. Park, who built the little brick church by the river in 1890. God is still at work today in this church that is small in size but big in our vision for the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

WE INVITE YOU to come grow with us!

PAST...

Located in Macon, Georgia, in a neighborhood once known as Holton community, Park Memorial United Methodist Church is both rooted in history and moving toward the future! Captain Robert E. Park, farmer, statesman and retired Confederate officer, built the red brick church that now stands on Arkwright Road in memory of his wife, Ella Holt Park. Construction began in late 1889. Mrs. Park died March 19, 1890, three months before completion.

On June 8, 1890, the Macon Telegraph reported the church's dedication by saying: "A large congregation gathered at Holton yesterday to witness the dedicatory service of Park Memorial Church at Holton.... The sermon was preached by Captain Park's brother the Reverend William Park of Sandersville. The text was taken from Matthew 16:18. The following ministers were present and took part in the morning service: Rev. W. C. Bass, D.D.; J. O. A. Clark, D.D.; Dr H. Harvey; Rev. William Park and C. A. Snow."

Records do not reveal when Park Memorial became a Methodist church. It was built as a house of worship for all denominations. A big pot belly stove heated the church in its early years. Music was furnished by a pump organ and the minister read scriptures by the light of two kerosene lamps on stands in the pulpit. The chandeliers also contained kerosene lamps which had to be filled and their chimneys cleaned each week. These same kerosene chandeliers were converted to electricity in the late 1930's and still bring light to our worship today!

God brought Park Memorial through the Great Depression when money was scarce but the love of God in God's people flowed abundantly. The church celebrated its fiftieth year in 1940, with its first pastor, Rev. T. E. Davenport present. That same year, Mrs. Hattie Johnson had a dream for a fellowship hall. Thus "Mrs. Hattie's Penny Box" was started. It grew and grew until the ground breaking for the building on October 2, 1946. The fellowship hall was completed in 1947, adjoining the rear of the sanctuary.

The church and community came together in 1953 to build the parsonage for the church on adjoining property. Today it no longer serves as the pastor's home but is still a lovely part of our campus complex. The Diamond Jubilee, 75th Anniversary Homecoming, soon followed on July 11, 1965, featuring the Rev. George Standley Birch, Missionary to Nigeria speaking at morning worship.

The historic milestone of 100th Anniversary covered three days of celebration, June 8, 9 and 10, 1990. The pastor was the Rev. B. Hall DeLoach, and special guests included Bishop Richard C. Looney of the South Georgia Conference and Dr. Donald Kea, Superintendent of the Macon District. Services included Holy Communion on Friday and Old Time Summer Camp Meeting by the River on Saturday. On Sunday, June 8, Dr. G. Ross Freeman, Editor of the Wesleyan Christian Advocate, was the guest speaker at morning worship.

Over the years, God has brought the Gospel to this area of Middle Georgia and to the world through the work of this great church. Teachers, pastors and missionaries have all been part of the heritage of Christ here in and through the lives of those who worship in this place.

PRESENT...

Today, Park Memorial stands on another threshold. Once a small family country church, we are now surrounded by the exploding growth of north Macon. We are searching for ways to invite new worshipers into our family and extend the love of Christ to as many as will hear.

Our beloved "Park's Pickers" anchor our music outreach

Our Chancel Choir welcomes new singers to lead morning worship

We utilize the Safe Sanctuaries guidelines to secure our growing children's ministries so that families may feel confident that their children are learning of God's love in a safe environment

A Landmark of Christ's Love

Mission efforts, local and global, extend Jesus' love to God's hurting people

"Open hearts, open minds, open doors" welcome all into relationship with Jesus Christ

FUTURE...

God is building His vision for this historic church. Yes, the Bible richly values God's past acts of grace and guidance. But the power of our Holy Scripture is in the forward thrust of God at work. This we see today as we joyfully seek to grow in Jesus. Come join us on God's mission to make disciples for Jesus Christ - working for God's kingdom now and tomorrow!

Worship: Sunday mornings at 11:00 A.M.!

Park Memorial United Methodist Church, Inc. 
5290 Arkwright Road - Macon, Georgia 31210
478-477-3740
www.parkmumc.org

Copyright © 2011 
Park Memorial United Methodist Church
All rights reserved